With all the articles we do about teeth we sometimes try to have a little fun with our topics. So this time around we thought we would share some random fun facts and obscure knowledge about all things weird and dental-related. Here are some entertaining but educational tidbits about your pearly whites. Enjoy.
- In West Virginia in the mid 1990’s, a prison inmate braided dental floss into a rope, scaled a prison wall and escaped ninja-like into the night. (OK this one really wasn’t about teeth but we couldn’t help including it).
- A snail’s mouth is literally no larger than the head of pin. It can, however, contain over 25,000 different teeth.
- In medieval Europe, it was a commonly held belief that dog’s teeth boiled in wine was a surefire method to prevent tooth decay, so much so that it was taught by the physicians at the time and even endorsed by the clergy.
- Americans buy almost 14 million gallons of toothpaste every year. They also buy and use almost 14 inches per person, per year, of dental floss. (We’re not sure exactly how accurate that quote is considering some of it includes alternative uses by inmates).
- More than 51 million hours of school are lost each year by American school children due to dental related issues.
- In both England and America, it was at one time very common for the local blacksmith to moonlight as the town dentist. Considering he was the only guy around capable of forging hand tools, it was the common practice for people to get their teeth pulled while getting new horseshoes for their horses.
- Giraffes have only bottom teeth.
- The Romans were much better dentists than most of us may have thought. They restored cavities with gold crowns and made fixed bridgework to repair gaps in missing teeth. They also made a form of toothpaste from honey and crushed eggshells.
- If you are right-handed you will chew your food on the right side of your mouth, but if you’re a lefty, you will chew on the left side.
If you need dental care please visit Dr. Dan Matthews’ dental office in Austin Texas for all your dentistry needs. Make an appointment today!